100 Holomoana Street
HI 96815 USA
Joan Naguwa has been the Executive Director of HUGS (Help Understanding & Group Support) since 2013, a local nonprofit agency providing long term support services for Hawaii’s families with children who have a life-threatening illness. For the past 40 years, Joan’s lifelong passion has been to improve the lives of Hawaii’s people and our communities. Prior to her current position with HUGS, she was the Executive Director of The Children’s Alliance of Hawaii, serving children who have been sexually abused. She also served as Executive Director of the Waikiki Community Center, overseeing a wide variety of programs for Waikiki’s residents, senior citizens, families and young children, including early education programs.
Prior to that, she was Vice President of Programs, Helping Hands Hawaii for 23 years. She recruited, trained and managed diverse volunteer resources and conducted training in volunteer program management for nonprofit and government organizations statewide. She also managed senior citizens programs, youth development programs, service learning programs and other community-based activities, bringing together a variety of sectors from the community.
Her passion and career also includes active involvement as a volunteer. Her professional and community activities have included:
- Member, Community Service Chair, Board Member of the Rotary Club of Waikiki for 10 years
- Member, Keiki Caucus and Hawaii Children’s Trust Fund Coalition
- Member of the Childcare Business Coalition
- Member, Association of Fundraising Professionals, Hawaii Chapter
- Co-Founder and Past President of the Network of Volunteer Leaders (NOVL), a professional organization of volunteer managers
- Past Chair of the Hawaii Commission for National and Community Service
- Past Member, Advisory Committees of University of Hawaii Service Learning Program, Kapiolani Community College Service Learning Program, and Punahou School Luke Center for Public Service
- Member of the Mayor’s Honolulu Committee on Aging
- Advisor, Hawaii State Youth Volunteer Board.
She is a graduate of University of Hawaii at Manoa and received professional certifications in the Weinberg Fellows Program in Nonprofit Management and the Hawaii Community Foundation’s PONO Executive Leadership program. She was awarded the Aim for Excellence Award for nonprofit leadership by the Weinberg Foundation in 2008.